Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Redefining goals: Too many? Not enough focus?

Have you ever wanted to do everything, be everything, know everything, and been so overwhelmed that you just shut down and play video games all day instead?



Not going to lie, my time management SUCKS




Have you ever put off your goals, not because you don't have any, but because you have too many? Too many professional goals, too many personal goals, too many family goals, too many improvement goals, and therefor you get nothing done, because you work 10% effort at each goal?

This is where I feel like I have been the last few years. I have no clear path, no set goals. I like so many things (personal training, fitness, competition, strength, functional fitness, nerdy stuff, video game stuff, books, cosplay, music, furniture refurbishing, comics, ) and I have all these great ideas on how to expand on them, and I want to create a brand, but I cant seem to narrow down and focus. 

I am going to start with the easy thing: Fitness. I have been an athlete (gymnast/cheerleader) and am very functional. I train Marines and I can do pretty much everything they do, at least for 3 reps. I have competed in figure, and I did pretty well there. But now I am just a jack of all trades, neither really aesthetic, not athletic. I have no defined goals there either....I am not planning on defining goals here, but just outlining what I love. I want to do it all! I am on a journey to be both aesthetic and athletic. Stop the laziness and get my drive back! I have spent the last 2 years yo-yoing in limbo between goals.  

But guess what? I am also full-time employed,, with an awesome job with the Marine Corps! I am a mother and my son and raising him right is pretty much top priority. (I'm sorry but we do not need another generation of lazy millennials!) I am a wife and my husband is my best friend, and hes not a huge gym guy! I love doing family things. I need balance.

*SIDENOTE*

 I understand that competitions and bodybuilding isn't about balance. I have nothing but respect for that industry, and I will probably go back one day! I love being on stage! However, bodybuilders are superheros, and they do not get balance. They give 110% to themselves and their sport, and their clients. I am just not able to give 100% of myself right now, when I have other big priorities consuming me. And to be honest, I don't have the money. Trying to give my son and my family a great life with fun experiences (not toys/things, but experiences), and save for my future. I live in SoCal, cost of living is stupid, so I need to plan wisely. 




So how am I going to do this? I have my Masters in Kinesiology, my CSCS, and I have trained many successful people, so its about time I train myself right!

What I WONT do: 
* Obsess over every calorie/carb/fat/protein (I want an idea, but I will not obsess)
* Feel endless guilt and torture if I skip a workout - sometimes the body needs rest
* Feel endless guilt and torture if I skip a workout to hang out with my family and be lazy - We like video games, and everything in moderation right? As long as its not a crazy habit, I will liberate myself from that guilt!
* Do endless long slow cardio for weight loss.
* Obsess over the scale - in fact, I don't even think I will take my weight for a while. LIBERATE!!
* Cut all carbs
* Feel guilty if I have a bad meal - Lets face it, I love pizza and Five guys and beer - everything in moderation.
* Endless hip/glute extensions to "build a booty"

What I WILL do: 
* Track progress with pics, body fat, and fitness assessments (power/speed/agility/endurance/1RM)
* Sign up for physical challenges that push me beyond my comfort zone, give me a date for goals, and promote teamwork and family. (I hate running, but love obstacles, so I am thinking a Tough Mudder or Spartan Race)
* Do high intensity cardio for health and performance improvement
* Do slower cardio for endurance and heart health
* Mix up my weight training - Olympic lifts, sports training, grip training, gymnastics, FUN.
* Mix up my fitness and involve family- Outdoor training, park, hiking, rock climbing, walking my dog more, stop driving places that I can walk/bike too.
* Focus more on natural nutrition, eat to nourish my body, build muscle, eat carbs to re-energize, fuel my workouts.
* Stop making excuses
* Stretch more




The ultimate outcome goal? Be a physical badass that looks fantastic in a bikini year round and dresses up in costumes! :)

My professional goals/other personal goals will shortly follow, but first, I need to get back to blogging, rediscover myself, and get social again ;)

I will follow up with my stats: bodyfat, pics, and fitness assessments measurements will be provided next week!

Are you interested in joining me to be your best you? I do online/in-person training. Email me gymgirl105@gmail.com. And NO I do not do cookie cutter meal plans that tell you to eat chicken and veggies, rather I educate you in nutrition and how to fuel yourself properly for your workouts and your life.

Ri


No comments:

Post a Comment