Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Rant: What is with Book Series Finales Sucking??

 


Ok, this is just a short rant about books and authors....

Why are you making your series finales suck?

Ok, maybe you ran out of ideas, maybe you were just anxious to finish the series, or maybe you know that so many people are invested in your series that they will buy the book no matter what so you can do whatever you want to the ending and be evil just because you can, because you already got our hard-earned cash....

I just hate it when authors need to add something "shocking" or a "twist" or kill off awesome people just to get a rise out of the readers, even if it doens't pertain to the story. Listen, if it doesn't improve the storyline or the quality of the book, THEN DON'T DO IT! (I am of course talking about one specific book series finale that came out last month, but to spare readers who have not yet read it, I will abstain from naming names)

Ok, I realize that not all books are going to end happy-go-lucky, but for Gods sake, don't make me regret the whole series! I mean, there has to be some kind of happiness to an outcome, even if it not ideal, to make the readers at least kind of understand WHY you did what you did???

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the reason I HATE LOATHE DESPISE love triangles.

Dear Author: Quit messing up your story becuase you can. Make it believeable at the very least. Make it flow.

Now I LOVE happy endings, and I know I will not always get it. But I also love emotional roller coasters, deaths, war, famine, and crazy and traumatizing situations and crazy climaxes throughout the series, but I like the ending to have some semblance of happiness and/or closure. Just a hint....but when I finish a book and my first thought is "well that sucked, what is the point of any of it?" Then Author, you failed!

Now, that being said, I need to finish series finales of the Frost Series by Kate Avery Ellison, and I got a spoiler alert that I may not like the ending, but I am going to finish the series. If the ending is bad, then fine, as long as it makes sense and adds to the storyline. So far I have loved the series, but lets wait and see shall we.....


 

No comments:

Post a Comment